As per the Income Tax Act, 1961 individuals are allowed to file a revised income tax return. Usually, it can be done by those who had previously omitted some information or had provided inaccurate details. Typically, one can revise this through the online tax filing portal.
Steps to file revised ITR
By following these steps, one can complete the process of filing of income tax returns.
- Log in to the official e-filing income tax portal with your PAN and password.
- Click on e-file menu.
- Next, click on ‘Income Tax Return’.
- Entering your PAN details will direct you to its income tax page.
- Select your ITR form number and its assessment year.
- Select ‘Revised Return’ as your ‘Filing Type’.
- Click on the ‘Submission’ option.
- Navigate to the ‘General Information’ tab.
- Choose ‘Revised’ as your ‘Return Filing Section’.
- Enter acknowledgement number and previous date of filing your original returns.
- Review details and click on ‘Submit’.
- Opt for e-verification of your ITR for prompt processing and refunds.
Notably, sending ITR-V via speed post or otherwise to the Central Processing Centre of the IT Department is a must. It is also imperative for borrowers of credit facilities like a home loan to complete revision so that the required document can be provided to avail such loan. Also, make sure to learn about income tax returns – everything else you need to know about ITR filing to avoid rejection and save more on loans when making tax calculations as per the applicable income tax slabs.